Skip to content
Jiwa Organic Pearl Barley- ¾ cup (Cooked, and drained)
- Olive Oil- 1 tbsp.
- Garlic- 1 tsp, finely chopped
- Onion- ¼ cup, finely chopped
- Carrot- ½ cup, cubed
- Tomatoes- ¼ cup
- Harissa- 1-2 tbsp.
- Tomato puree- ½ cup
- Vegetable stock- 1 cup
- Reserved Barley water- 1 cup
- Basil- ¼ cup
- Cinnamon powder- ¼ tsp
- Roast Cumin Powder- ¼ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Black pepper- to taste
- Chilli oil- for garnish
- Cook Barley as per instructions.
- Drain and reserve the water.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onions, garlic, and carrots.
- Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add in the tomatoes, harissa, tomato puree, basil, cinnamon and cumin and salt. Cook till the tomatoes soften slightly.
- Add in the cooked Pearl Barley and give it a quick stir.
- Add in the stock and reserved barley water, and let simmer for 5-10 minutes on medium flame.
- Garnish with some fresh basil, a dash of chilli oil, and serve piping hot with a toasted focaccia on the side.